Monday, January 5, 2009

Ah, the romance is gone



A picture of more snow today in Paris.

Ah, the romance is gone. Lately the french guy and I have been parting ways late morning and meeting up again in the early evening. Frankly, his idea of a great afternoon is cranking up the heat in the room to 80 degrees and watching TV in his underwear. Mine is...not. For one thing, none of the TV stations are in English. And I'm in Paris.

I'm having a hard time reading him. I get the impression his budget is tight right now, but he just bought a new iPhone and has money for scratch off lottery tickets. He is not comfortable with me contributing any money for meals if we go out to eat but it's OK if I buy cheese, fruit, or bread for dinner at a store. And he is definitely not a foodie. After the excellent couscous from my first visit and some conversations about snails and other food he's tried I though he might be. But, no. Besides lunch at Frunch, we've had dinner at McDonald's and a gyros stand.

It's been a different kind of trip than I anticipated. Not necessarily in a bad way, just different.

7 comments:

Steve said...

Ah HAH! And the Royale with Cheese rears its head!

So basically, you're saying that French guys are a lot like American guys: lazy, with poor taste in restaurants, limited in their interests, and no appreciation for what they have.

Well shit, Chris, you can get that right here at home! So enjoy the rest of your Adventure and come home all the wiser...

And once again, thanks for sharing with us...the romance might be gone in the romance, but not in the city, or the experiences it seems to be delivering. :)

amy said...

Sometimes the sequel surpasses the original (like "The Empire Strikes Back") and sometimes you have to learn to appreciate the sequel for different reasons than the original (like "The Matrix Reloaded"). All lessons are worth learning.

I was all the way behind you taking this trip. If you're still speaking to me, call me when you get back.

And Tom asked you to bring your french guy back with you. It sounds like they love all the same things; he'd like to date him.

heather said...

Hmmm...I'd say he sounds like the guys I used to date, except that you said he won't let you pay at a restaurant. At least you got that goin' for ya.

Anonymous said...

This Algerian is starting to sound like the guy from 'Knocked Up' without any upside. If you think he's starting to resemble Napolean Dynamite more and more, I'd switch hotels.

As Steve alluded, if you want a guy that eats McDonald's and sits around in his underwear, you have to look no further than Brookwood Lane. He's married though.

Anonymous said...

What a smartass...

I immediately thought of this quote from "Knocked Up", and the french guy saying it in Algerian:

"It's doggie style. It's just the style. We don't have to go outside or anything."

So funny...

Anonymous said...

I would remove that comment above, but I can't figure out how to delete it.

We thought Nicole was salty...

heather said...

Too funny...I'm cracking up with these comments! Chris, I hope you are, too. Sometimes you've just gotta laugh.