Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Pool Game Was Postponed


At about 8pm last night I got the french equivalent of "Put your shoes on. It's time to go".

We were supposed to meet up with another couple for a game of pool last night. When the french guy mentioned the other day that he plays, I thought it might be a fun thing to do in Paris. He called one of his friends whose girlfriend is in town and made plans for us to get together. This time I remembered to bring my French-English dictionary. The friend speaks very little English and the girlfriend doesn't speak any.

We found them waiting for us at a snack shop in St. Michel. The girlfriend was surprisingly easy to talk to - She is 27, a beautician who does nails and waxing, has been dating her boyfriend for 5 months (they met on the Internet), her dad is from Switzerland, her mom from Great Britain, she likes techno, can dance the salsa, and her favorite actor is Kevin Costner in Robin Hood. I was able to get all of that without the dictionary or a translator. Oh, and she's sick. After a drink and some sandwiches she was heading home with her boyfriend. So the pool game was postponed.

The picture is from the Conciergerie. I seem to be collecting pictures of Christmas trees.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her mom is from Great Britain, and she doesn't speak any English? I'll bet your French is way better now than you think it is.

At least you didn't get the "Get dressed and put your shoes on. It's time to go."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

Steve said...

Is the Christmas tree in this photo flocked as well?

Have you had any "Royale with cheese" jokes yet? Don't know why I thought of that - maybe because you were heading out to do something mundane like play pool, but in France, made me think of it...