Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Rome Day 1

I can't believe I am finally here. Rome has been both expected and unexpected. The farmland all around the airport was a surprise. The NY style graffiti in English was a surprise. There are more hills than I was expecting. And it's very humid. But it is absolutely beautiful. There isn't an ugly building in the city. Even the ones that look a little worn around the edges are gorgeous. Lots of balconeys, lots of flowers on the balconeys. Lot's of little streets with shops and restaurants.

The hotel I am staying in is in a great location - near Termini station, major bus lines, and the metro. But everything is within walking distance. And I did a lot of walking today. Saw the Piazza della Repubblica, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Area Sacra di Argentina, and lots of other fountains and statues. It's a little weird to see building, building, ancient ruins, building, ancient ruins.

I just couldn't stop staring at everything. But I must be doing an OK job fitting in because I was mistaken for an Italian on my way back to the hotel tonight. The guy seemed embarrassed to have made the mistake which I’m taking as a compliment.

Internet access is good at the hotel so I'll try to post more tomorrow (maybe some pictures, too, if I can figure that out. Right now I am off to bed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you made it ok. Take it all in and keep us posted! (HA, no pun intended!)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Whatever happens, do not agree to accept someone else's luggage for cash. I would hate to see you end up as a drug mule and profiled on National Geographic "Locked Up Abroad". Have Fun! -Tom

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great start. I am jealous and very excited for you. Thanks for letting us be a part of the trip through this blog.

Nancy Ann said...

Chris ~ I am sooo excited for you. Remember to look for 'Fiesta' and 'Mingalone' as a last name on something when you get into the Naples region. Those are the family names for me. Pictures if you have room!!!!

Italian men are hot - pick one up for you to take home, MJ would probably like one too if you can fit one in your carry on for her too!