Today didn't go quite as I had hoped. I decided to skip the 13 hour trip to Pompeii and instead made reservations yesterday for a walking tour of Trastevere and the Jewish Ghetto. I was also waiting to hear back about a tour of the Borghese Museum (tickets are limited and I should have reserved them days ago). But the tour company called this morning and cancelled the walking tour because today is a holiday in Italy.
So I thought I would start the day with the get-on get-off bus tour I skipped on Tuesday and give my legs a break. Bought the ticket, got on the bus, Went a couple of miles, and then we stopped. We stopped about a 1/2 block from where my hotel is. Part of the tour route was blocked off for events associated with the holiday today. And they couldn't figure out how to reroute the bus.
While they were working out the new route I got off and had lunch at the place around the corner where I had some awesome lasagna the other night. Went back to my hotel room to check on the Borghese tickets and found out that was going to be a no go. By then (about 1 1/2 hours later) they had figured out the new route so I got back on the bus and rode it all afternoon. I really should have done that on the first day. There are areas that I have walked by several times not realizing what was just around the corner. I am definitely going to make that the first thing I do in the major cities.
I am completely overwhelmed by how much there is to see and do here. And I haven't even walked into a museum yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Imagine all the stuff around Chicago that we completely take for granted. I smell a Chicago architecture tour coming on this summer when you're back. Relax and figure you'll never see it all. You could spend 5 weeks in Rome and see interesting things every day. Move on when you feel ready.
I think I'm gonna go back for another couple of days.
And I am up for some local site seeing. There is suppossed to be a Devil In the White City tour coming soon.
No WAY! You read Devil in the White City too? Well, I guess it's like the Blues Brothers - kind of a best seller, only in the local marketplace :)
Devil in a white City is popular in the NYC area!
Kat
Post a Comment