Today was a fun but soggy day. It was raining when I woke up this morning, which did not bode well for the bike and canal tour I booked. I headed over to the meeting place about a 1/2 hour before the tour was supposed to start. The website said they would run it rain or shine so the only thing I was thinking about was just how wet I might get. It never occurred to me that they might cancel if no one else showed up. In fact, the tour guide said they would only run with a minimum of four people. Crap. I'm the only one waiting.
So lucky for me one other person showed up right before we were scheduled to leave. And lucky for me she hit it off right away with the tour guide (both Canadians, both divers, both world travelers). He decided to run the tour anyway. Ah, young love.
We biked all over the city. All around the canals, up on the eastern side of the city, along the harbor, through the red light district (not what I was expecting), down more canals to our boat. Then it was lunch (and a couple of beers) on the boat while we cruised through some of the same neighborhoods we just biked. Then back on the bikes for a little more riding before the tour was over. I think it was about 5 hours altogether.
A couple of hours into the tour is when the rain finally stopped. But the sun didn't come out until after I was on my way to dinner. Which was fantastic tonight. One of the better meals I've had.
I found an Argentine grill around the corner from the hotel. It wasn't anything fancy for dinner, basically a steak and salad, but it was very tasty. Hit the spot. Then my very full belly and I headed back to the hotel.
I think I'm done with Amsterdam and will head back to Paris in the morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow...you're not going to check out the tulip fields in the Netherlands at all?! Aww...that's too bad.
Between the blog and everyone's comments, I am crackin' up! Thanks for the laughs!
Wow, five hours. You probably know this already, but be careful when they promise you it'll be a 3-hour tour. I've heard that didn't go so well for a group on a sightseeing boat a few years ago.
Because it's been so hot here, all of the bulbs dropped their petals. I asked the guide about it, but he said the tulips were done blooming last week. The city tour was so much fun I would have loved to do the countryside one.
Post a Comment