Saturday, May 10, 2008

Paris Days 3 and 4

Yesterday I walked down towards Pont Neuf for a return visit to Notre Dame and to try the Bourne building again. First stop was the Bourne building, which wasn't just closed for the holiday but is closed indefinitely. Some kind of safety hazard inside, I didn't understand all the details. So on to Notre Dame. There was a long line to go inside which moved pretty quick. I couldn't believe the colors in the windows. They seemed brighter than most of the other church windows I've seen so far.

From there I walked to the Musee Rodin, which is basically a garden for Rodin sculptures. The Thinker was there, along with a few other pieces that I found interesting. But I have to say that I enjoyed the garden most of all.

After the Musee Rodin it was back to Notre Dame for a quick bite to eat with my date from Day 2 (We split a ham and cheese panini and a three cheese panini - they were better than the panini's in Italy). We sat at Notre Dame for a while people watching. It felt very french with the accordion music playing in the background. Then onto to a little neighborhood place near Montmartre church for a late dinner. He kept saying "I'll take you for some good couscous" and I didn't get it. To me that's like saying "I'll take you for some good rice". But this place was fantastic. The food is free when you buy a bottle of wine and it wasn't just couscous. There was some kind of sauce for the couscous with carrots, celery, chickpeas, and potatoes among other things. On top of that they brought us a plate of roasted chicken and beef sausage. It was one of the best meals I've had so far.

Today was finally Versailles. I thought I needed a whole day for it, but you really don't. There is less to see inside the Chateau than I expected. And it was hard to see anything with the crowds. Some of the largest crowds I've seen so far. Which is my fault since I waited until a Saturday afternoon in May to go.

So I decided to skip the crowds at Versailles in favor of the crowds in the Latin Quarter. I was using the excuse of find a pair of flip-flops to wander around a bit this afternoon. Now I am back at the hotel with some laundry drying in the bathroom and debating whether or not to head out for a bite to eat.

I think tomorrow will be my "sit in the cafe and eat and people watch all day long" day since it is the last full day I'll have here in Paris. I wanted to see some of the D-Day sites in Normandy but I just don't think I can make that happen this trip.

No comments: