I should have gone first thing in the morning. Instead I headed in the other direction. I had heard that Marc Chagall did the ceilings at the Opera House, but after seeing that the entrance fee was 8 euros I skipped going inside. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The woman I sat next to at the train station said the inside of the Opera House was better than the Louvre. I'll have to add it to the list of things to see on my next trip to Paris along with Sainte Chapelle (and the Louvre). Because after the Opera House I went for one last walk along the river. By the time I made it to Sainte Chapelle the line was over an hour long. I had a nice chat with the guy working the line, though. He said to always try to come first thing in the morning. If I had asked yesterday when I walked away from the line because it was too long I would have known better. Oh, well.
From Sainte Chapelle I moved onto the the Marais neighborhood and eventually made my way to Place des Vosges, where Victor Hugo lived when he wrote the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Took a little nap in the park, then started walking back towards the hotel, weaving my way in and out of the streets. I got quite a bit of window shopping in today before I had to leave for the train station.
The couple sitting across from me at the train station were from the UK. They had some good tidbits. First, make sure I take a ride on the London Eye if I do nothing else. And second, all of the national museums are free (Score!).
So I ordered room service when I got to hotel. This is actually the first hotel of the trip that has had room service. The menu prices seemed pretty reasonable when I read them in pounds. But I probably just paid $20 for chicken, fries, a salad, and a cider.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ooh, you're going upscale in London now. After dirty Amsterdam, I think you've upped your standards. So much for backpacking through New Orleans. Or is that a bad idea? If it's good enough for Brad Pitt...Wait, what? You mean he's not living in a trailer down there?
Post a Comment