Monday, May 5, 2008

Interlaken Day 1

The views are amazing here. I mean, I've seen mountains before, but not like this. I think my mouth was hanging open the entire walk from the hotel to the train station. The weather is beautiful, sunny with just a few clouds. I have been so lucky weather wise. Only one rainy day so far and that was manageable.

I walked around town after checking in this afternoon. I got a free local bus pass from the hotel but I like the walking. It's a completely different way of life here. I can't tell you how many people I saw ride by with their groceries in a bag on the back of a bike. There is no reason why I can't do the same at home.

Although the train ride to get here was long (about 8 hours) it went by really fast. I have to say I enjoy traveling by train much more than by plane. It was really relaxing and I had some great views of the countryside. I only had one bad moment when I couldn't find my train in Milan. The trains were posted by their final destination, not the train number. Completely confused me at first since the town name on my ticket was not listed anywhere on the board. But I found the right train with a few minutes to spare.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make sure to look into the cogwheel train that takes you up to view the jungfrau. I think there are ice caves you can walk through up there as well. The train ride is one of the highest in the world. There is another train that takes a loop through Grindelwald? and is very popular, obviously, ask around...

BTW, that Milan train yard is very confusing. It is a major hub. I was stuck there sitting in my traincar having no idea if I was going to my destination. They moves all the traincars around and switch engines. This happened to me at 1 am.

ChrisO said...

Thank God it wasn't just me with the Milan train yard. I was really starting to panic when the first local I asked for help couldn't find the train and that was in the middle of the day. I would have completely lost it if it had happened late at night.