Thursday, May 15, 2008

Amsterdam Day 1

After a good nights sleep I started off the day with a brief walk to the Van Gogh Museum. I was able to see not only their permanent Van Gogh collection, but an exhibition of Millais that was very interesting. There is a lot I don't know about art.

After the museum I started walking towards the Anne Frank house. I stopped along the way to pick up a sandwich and apple strudel. I found a bench at the church around the corner from the house and ate lunch. There was a small line outside but you move through the place pretty quickly. It was a little unnerving to walk through those rooms and think about 8 people living there for two years. And to think about where they ended up.

After that I took a tram to the Botanical Gardens. They were much smaller than I expected, but better maintained than any others I've seen so far. The most plant varieties, too. Then I headed back to the hotel on foot so I could check out the neighborhood. I had a cider at the square near the hotel and sat down to people watch for about an hour.

Now I'm back up in my hotel room and undecided about heading back out at all tonight. First, my room is on the fourth floor and there is no elevator. Second, the night clerk gave me the key to the private roof deck with a view of the city. I may hang out there tonight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris -
This blog is so great!
Thanks for taking the time to share so much with all of us!
Can't think of anything to clever to say so for now, I'll just go...
Can't wait to see all your pictures!
~jenny

jenny (patton) rabig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jenny (patton) rabig said...

Chris...?
Sooooo...who is this boy from Paris?????
Details?!!!!

Moleskin008 said...

OMG , my future brother in law is french( Thats just like sayin hes black) Anywho they have something in Amsterdam thats not legal in Chicago...........Wait Flah Grah is now legal in Chicago !!!!Happy Dayz , What will those crazy Europeans think of next ? P.S. Even though your in Amsterdam and your probably weed free , just wanted to let you know your lawn is too .

ChrisO said...

Jenny,

Glad you are enjoying the blog.

Mikey,

I wondered how many times you've had to mow the lawn. I owe you a dinner or two when I get back. If you're brave enough I'll even cook it.

Chris