Monday, May 12, 2008

Final Days in Paris

I meant to take it easy yesterday. Really, I did. And I held out for most of the day. Had a late lunch at a restaurant down the street that the night clerk recommended (I tried both steak tartare and veal with white sauce) and just spent the day relaxing. But for dinner I really wanted another three cheese panini from the place I ate at the other day. And that place was down in the Latin Quarter.

So I put on my new flip-flops and slowly made my way down there. Stopped at several spots along the way to check out the architecture and take some pictures. I was able to see the Musee Pompidou building. I also went into an old English bookstore in the Latin Quarter. But by the time I made it to the panini place they were out of panini's. Bummer. But there was another place around the corner. It wasn't quite as good as the first, but still good. And that's when I realize that the Pantheon isn't very far away.

Now it is off to see the Pantheon while munching on my panini. Then back to the Latin Quarter for a chocolate crepe (YUM!). Then a drink at a local bar with my date from the other night and a different cousin of his (Who is also a Hillary Clinton supporter). And then finally back to the hotel. Where I realized that not only do I have two huge new blisters, but the side of one foot is bleeding from where the flip flop has rubbed against it. Lovely. I have completely trashed my main mode of transportation with two weeks left to go.

Today the sneakers went back on. And I only walked to lunch (roast chicken), the train station, and dinner tonight in Brussels. I took my first taxi of the trip to get from the train station in Brussels to the hotel. Hopefully that is enough of a break because tomorrow I plan on taking the train to Bruges. And I know there will be more walking involved.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've only taken one taxi and you've been traveling for 3 weeks?! I'm impressed. I'm way lazier than that. Sorry about your poor feet! :(

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, the "Well, if I'm this close" syndrome. I am often afflicted with that, too. Ask anyone who ended up in Springfield's ghetto with me a few years ago...It's the only place I've ever seen a drive thru window at a 24-hour liquor store.
I just saw a travel show that said they offer tours of the European Union's (I think it's called something different today.) government headquarters. It's kinda like parliament for all of Europe. That could be cool. The only Bruges I know is "In Bruges" and you saw that, too. Hopefully it's sunnier than in the movie...

Anonymous said...

I would like some pictures of your date.
and the chocolate crepe.

Kat